Moth Control Cape Cod
Moth Pest Control Services for Cape Cod Area Homes & Businesses
While living or vacationing in Cape Cod can be tremendously rewarding and relaxing, it is important to be aware of the area’s historically high moth population. Cape Cod has been a favorite destination of gypsy moths ever since an amateur French scientist introduced them to the region in the mid-1860s. Because gypsy moths are non-native organisms to Cape Cod, they have few natural predators to keep their numbers down. To this day, Cape Cod residents must fight to keep these moths out of their homes.
When you have moths in your Cape Cod home, it can be extremely frustrating and hard to know what to do. Fortunately, you have Cape Cod Pest Pros on your side. We have years of experience dealing with all sorts of pests common to Cape Cod, and moth control is one of our specialties. If you need Cape Cod gypsy moth control, you know who to call.
Professional Moth Removal Services in Cape Cod
If you’re at a loss for how to get rid of moths in your Cape Cod area home, you can rely on Pest Pros for reliable moth control services. Our specialists have years of experience dealing with all sorts of pests common to Cape Cod and can prevent moths from coming back with manageable moth exterminator costs. Our moth removal treatments will minimize any risk to human health, household pets and the environment while reducing the risks that accompany a moth infestation.
The Pest Pros of Cape Cod can help provide traps and everything you need to control adult moths in your home from the source. We will service your home quickly and with a full range of comprehensive pest control solutions to remedy any moth infestation issues you have. Our treatment is ideal for any area of your home and can even help eliminate eggs, larvae and adult moths from delicate items that you might be unable to launder.
Our moth exterminator specialists will select the appropriate treatment method based on the species of moths you have, the number of stored products that the moths have destroyed or contaminated and the area of your home facing the most severe impacts from the infestation.
Moth Control Treatments in Cape Cod
Moth treatment with Pest Pros of Cape Cod starts with your free moth inspection. If you suspect you have moths, fill out our free pest inspection form, and we’ll contact you to set up your complimentary inspection. Once our team confirms the presence of moths, we’ll look for where the moths are congregating or entering your property and determine how to remove the moths and prevent them from reentering.
Based on your unique situation, we’ll determine the best treatment option. First, we’ll identify the moth species and consider the food or materials they are most attracted to in your home. We may also consider the building’s structure when deciding how to prevent another moth problem in the future. Our moth treatment solutions may include:
- Sanitizing the property.
- Vacuuming carpets and other fabrics to remove eggs.
- Implementing better storage methods for food, fabrics or other materials.
- Lowering the temperature.
- Spraying low-volume chemical treatments.
- Fumigating the entire property.
After treatment, we may also use pheromone traps or another solution to catch the early warning signs of moths returning.
FAQs for Homeowners and Business Owners Experiencing a Moth Infestation
As pest control experts, we get a lot of questions from customers struggling with moth infestations. Here are some answers to some questions you might have:
What Are the Signs of a Moth Infestation?
One of the first things you will notice when locating a moth infestation in your home is an abundance of eggs, caterpillars and adult moths ranging from light grey to brown. Some of the signs you can expect with a moth infestation are irregular holes in your clothes and fabric or other noticeable cloth damage. Damage occurs most often in knitwear, such as alpaca, cashmere, fur, angora, silk and wool.
Adult moths typically lay their eggs in fabric such as clothing, upholstery, carpeting and other fabrics where their larvae will then hatch and be able to feed. Moth eggs will appear like tiny white spots on the surfaces of your furniture and clothing. While adult moths do not eat fabric and clothing, their larvae can be incredibly destructive. Caterpillars typically target clothing toward the backs of closets as the darkness and moisture levels are ideal for moth breeding and growth.
Over time, damage to your clothes and upholstered fabric can be severe. Some people may even experience an allergic reaction to moth larvae in their homes.
Why Is It Important to Take Care of Moths?
While moths are not generally harmful to humans, they can still do a lot of damage. Moths in your yard can quickly damage trees and destroy other landscape features of your property. Gypsy moths, in particular, love the Cape Cod environment of oak trees and grasslands, making it especially difficult to drive them out. You will likely need to contact a professional Cape Cod pest control service to get rid of moths around your property.
Inside your house, they can eat holes in plants and clothes, ruining them. In addition, it can be extremely hard to concentrate with moths flitting to and fro throughout your house all day long. Fabric-destructive pests like moths can wreak havoc on your home. Moth larvae can devour and gradually break down your cotton and wool clothing over time, leaving you with damaged, threadbare wardrobe options.
Clothes moth larvae may also eat through your furniture as they can easily digest the human keratin from hair, skin and fingernails found on coats, sweaters and upholstered furniture, resulting in significant financial loss and frustration. Clothes moths are also attracted to damp, dirty clothing, especially if it contains sweat or food stains. The damp clothing provides the perfect environment and sufficient food for moth larvae to develop into adult moths.
Other moth species will even eat dry foodstuffs, such as beans, flour, dried fruit and seeds. Any food products that become contaminated with moth feces or cocoons can pose a significant health risk and may result in allergic reactions or intestinal illnesses. Some moth larvae can even irritate your skin, resulting in disruptive allergy symptoms such as itching, rashes, swelling, redness and even blisters.
What Are Some Tips for Preventing Moths?
The key to stopping an infestation in its tracks is to stop moths from breeding and eliminate any presence of eggs and larvae.
Some methods to prevent moths from causing destruction in your home include:
- Washing clothes before storing them: Washing your clothing before you put them into storage can help keep your fabrics clean, fresh and free of the sweat that attracts moths. It will also ensure eggs or larvae won’t grow into maturity while stored for extended periods.
- Brushing clothes after wearing them: Regularly scraping your clothing will help remove any moth eggs. You should also check your clothing regularly for any signs of moth eggs and larvae.
- Keeping your materials in airtight containers: Use tightly sealed containers, chests and suitcases to ensure moths cannot get inside and lay eggs in your clothing or food. Placing materials like wool and suits in zipped, airtight garment bags inside sealed containers prevents exposure to the air and keeps away moths.
- Ensuring dry clothes storage: Avoid storing your clothing and belongings in humid, moist places. An indoor closet or interior room will provide a safe and dry place for you to keep your clothes.
- Keeping your home clean: Dusting around and vacuuming your carpets and furniture will help you remove moths and prevent eggs from hatching into larvae.
- Reinforcing your screens: Moths are attracted to light, especially porch and front door lights. To keep moths from getting inside your home when hovering around doors and windows, ensure your screens are secure and intact.
How Can I Remove Moths?
Once moths have invaded your home, you’ll want to take action immediately. The following tips will help you get rid of clothes moths inside your home.
- Try natural remedies: The pheromones in cedar naturally repel moths and other insects, so it can help to use a spray or diffuser with cedar oil to spread the scent. You can also combine dried, powdered and crushed herbs such as lavender, cloves, rosemary, thyme and bay leaves to repel moths.
- Use vinegar: Using a solution of white vinegar and water to wash and scrub areas where you have spotted moth eggs and larvae will help remove and repel moths.
- Apply sticky traps: Covering a sticky trap with moth pheromones will attract and effectively capture any stray moths and larvae in your home. Once moths become stuck to the surface of the trap, they cannot escape and eventually die. With removable strips, you can reapply traps for as long as you need.
- Freeze your clothing: Extreme cold is an incredibly effective way to eliminate larvae from clothing items that bear signs of moth damage. Keeping your clothing in a freezer for at least 24 hours can ensure any moth larvae and eggs will die.
- Contact Pest Pros: If your infestation proves too much for these removal and prevention techniques, it may be time to contact our pest control specialistsfor more effective and permanent solutions.
Trust the Pest Pros With Your Moth Extermination
When you notice the first signs of a moth infestation, you need to act fast. Prevent moths from taking over your home today with professional, annual moth removal treatment. If you need pest control and prevention solutions in the Cape Cod area, the Pest Pros can help you with all of your extermination needs and respond with urgency to your situation.
For over 15 years, we have been taking care of pests like moths in Cape Cod homes with fast, environmentally friendly pest control solutions administered by pest removal experts. We proudly serve towns throughout Cape Cod, including Yarmouth, Plymouth, Marshfield, Kingston, Duxbury, Orleans, Barnstable, Wareham and many more. If you live in the Cape Cod area and are not sure if we can help you with your moth problem, please call us.
If you’re tired of moths ruining your property and your comfort in your Cape Cod home, there’s no need to deal with it any longer. Fill out our simple online form and submit it to schedule a free pest inspection for your home. We’ll locate the source of your moth problem, as well as any other pests that may be infesting your house, and tell you exactly what needs to be done to help make your home pest-free.
Once we’ve agreed to a pest control plan, we’ll schedule an appointment as soon as possible so our experts can go right to work taking care of those troublesome moths. Our friendly technicians will work as unobtrusively as possible and explain what they are doing every step of the way. In addition to using the latest and most efficient technology, Pest Pros offers affordable rates on pest control to keep your home safe, clean and free of moths.
Contact us today to schedule a free moth inspection and receive a free estimate for our pest removal services.